Still Standing

Kennecott, Wrangell St Elias NP
Sony A77
Sony 70-400G @ 160mm, CPL
ISO 200/ 1/40 @ f8
I took a number of shots of the old mine from the entrance but I thought this view from the back portrayed its decay a bit better. I was amazed to learn that this structure is over 100 years old and has withstood the elements all these years despite being abandoned in 1938. I suppose that is a testimony to the sturdiness of the original construction and the perseverance of the miners. All comments welcome.>=))>

PS: Mods, if this needs to be in non-nature please feel free to move.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice take on the old mine. It is amazing it is still there, especially given the harsh elements. That is a heck of a structure.

I went ahead and moved it over to non-nature.

Bill, that is one scary looking structure. I’d say it is not on the list of got to see the interior to believe it’s still standing…:clown_face:

A really neat look at this old mining icon…:+1:

I like the framing in its natural, diagonal landscape. Could maybe see giving it more room around the edges to give it a bit more sense of place. The contrast between the vertical structure and diagonal hillside is quite striking.

An amazing structure, Bill. Nicely photographed. I suspect that was all rough cut local lumber, not the 1 1/2 by 3 1/2 2x4’s we get these days. I saw some structures from the mining days in Nome this summer that looked in about the same condition.

Great find and capture, Bill.

Wonderful color palette and a great testament to those that built the structure. Nicely done, Bill.