Stonecrop, Sedum spathulifolium

As promised, but a day late a a dollar short, here is my other Sedum image. My thought was to integrate the background with the Stonecrop. What do you think?

Canon 5D MK IV, f29, 1/200, ISO 500, Ring Flash. Photographed on Cypress Island, WA

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Don, I think this is a very intriguing image. I love the rich colors and textures in this shot. The colors of the yellow flowers, pale green leaves, and red stems creates a very interesting combination. I also think that adding the stone and lichen around the flowers as a framing element works very well. The fact that the flowers are so bright and the rock is so dark creates a nice degree of contrast

While I like this as presented, I could see a second additional crop here that reduces some of the area devoted to the stone, which would then make the flowers appear larger too. something like this perhaps. to me this retains the interesting colors and textures of the rocks, but makes the sedum more prominent.

Don: Love the main subject but for me there is a bit too much stone BG. I would crop this pretty aggressively so that the flowers and lichen take up a lot more of the frame.>=))>

I liked Ed & Bill’s idea of a crop. I went a little further than Ed’s and I like it better than my original. Thanks!

Don

Don,

This final edit looks great! Love the color, the details and arrangement of elements. Great processing too.

No nits or suggestions.

Lon

Hi Don. I like your crop, if you consider the Sedum as your subject, but when I was looking at the original pose, my initial reaction was that the Sedum was just distracting from all that gorgeous lichen. I’d love to see just a shot of the lichen in that area.