Succulents

These are some small plants that I came across on my way back from a shoot. We where right next to the Atlantic Ocean and the salt spray was fierce. Even though I’ve done it before, I dreaded the thought of having to change my lens and then clean my sensor later.

I ended up using my cell phone instead. I found that with phone being so small, and having a nice large screen, it made the composing the shot a very enjoyable experience and allowed me to get into positions that I might otherwise have not tried.

I’m not sure about the name of the plant, but it looks like it’s Sedum Sea Star.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m open to all critiques.

Technical Details

1/50sec f/1.8 ISO 349 Google Pixel

2 Likes

Very nice!!! I like that there is one more prominent set of leaves, with supporting variation in the other ones and nice falloff at the edges. B/W emphasizes the geometric design. I wonder about bringing up the darkest tones a little, just because a softer treatment seems to better suit a plant to me, but that’s just a personal artistic choice.

You for sure nailed the composition here. You show the plants from different angles, but at the same time there is a pleasing repeating pattern. Wel done! Finally, I like a lot that you have chosen a B&W rendition.

Hey Andre! Impressive shot with the Pixel! I’m a big fan of the black and white tones that you were able to pull out of this scene and the repetition of the succulents. Really the only suggestion is one you can play with and decide if you like it or not, and that is to try this shot in a 1x1 square crop. Love the work!

@Diane_Miller @Ola_Jovall @David_Johnston thanks for the comments.

I’ll echo that both the composition and the black and white work well. The lack of color emphasizes the patterns, which are wonderful, and I love the placement of the largest cluster. I too could see the shadows opened just a tad, but I’m not on a calibrated monitor so take that with a grain of salt.

1 Like

Love this one too. Another fantastic plant abstract. You’re really good at seeing these.

Thanks @Tony_Kuyper I just work it till it feels right.

Hi Andre - This is so fantastic! I love the composition and processing. Well done! I’d love to have something like this in my own collection. I think it looks pretty much perfect as is.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments @Sarah_Marino