Sun Halo_+Color/Repost

While there’s no land in this “landscape”, I didn’t know where else to put it. Sun halo shot wide, but I really liked the textures of the clouds and the varied layers. I’d be interested in your feedback on this image.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is the image too simple to be effective, or is there enough to hold attention?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
24mm, f/22, iso50, 1/80sec.

2 Likes

I’m not really a landscape artist, but I love it! The overlay of the clouds provides a depth that isn’t usually seen in sun halo shots, and they contribute a very interesting “texture.” The fact that it isn’t completely uniform, but with the density of detail more on an angle, contributes a lot. The starburst is completely unexpected and wonderful!

Jim, I like this image very much. You have to enlarge it to really find out the amazing texture of the clouds.

The clouds are the clincher. Curious why the B&W conversion. I like it, but it probably wouldn’t have occurred to me to try it out. Seems like you’ve got a deep blue sky going.

Beautiful abstract. It would be hard to tell exactly what it it without the description, but that is a good thing. Excellent.

Love the abstract feel of this image, Jim. Must admit it looked a bit like an eye ball to me at first! Nicely done.

Thanks @Diane_Miller and @Ola_Jovall! Ola - you’re right that the textures don’t really come out until you enlarge it.

@Kris_Smith…I’ve been experimenting more with B&W and I find it gives me a little more latitude with creative expression. Just an experiment and I’m not sure how much I’ll explore it but I’ve enjoyed the opportunity to be more flexible with luminance values that wouldn’t look “normal” in a colored image.

@Harley_Goldman and @linda_mellor …thank you both for your comments. Linda - the eyeball observation is very interesting. It’s kinda cool and creeping me out at the same time!

1 Like

Jim, these sun halos (or sundogs) are relatively rare, especially ones that show the full circle. So thanks for sharing it with us.

As presented, I think this image is more about the sunburst rather than the halo. My preference would be to see more breathing room in the sky outside the halo, to better define its shape, rather than having a crop that cuts off the halo in places, While I think this works in B&W, here is another vote for wanting to see this in color. I think it would have more impact, by emphasizing the halo.

I like the abstract qualities Jim. I agree with Ed on having a little more breathing room around the halo.

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk and @Eva_McDermott .

I agree with you both. I may try to add canvas/content aware in Ps and see how well it does.
I’ll also see about returning to color…as I think about it more, I agree it may be more pleasing.

Thanks again to you both!

At long last, I’m back at the computer and able to revise this image. Here is a version of the color file…a bit more dramatic than my previous B&W. Let me know what you think of this and thanks so much for your time and comments.

2 Likes

The blue version definitely has more “pop” to it for me, Jim. There seems to be more definition in the clouds. I like the blue version best. Nice edits.

Good eye @linda_mellor …I took it into Ps and added a High Pass filter with a large radius on it with attention to the lights only and agree that the blue version is better. Thanks for commenting!

1 Like