Sunrise Lakes Entrance

I have been watching some training videos by William Patino, a Australian photographer living in New Zealand and he uses a technique which I found very interesting called ICM (Intentional Camera movement).

So I thought I would give it a try during my visit to Lakes Entrance here in Victoria, Australia which boasts Australia’s largest inland network of waterways, Lakes Entrance has long been a popular Gippsland holiday spot, especially for young families.

Lakes Entrance is situated on the edge of Ninety Mile Beach where the Gippsland Lakes meets the Southern Ocean.

The image was taken during the blue hour at around 0530 in the morning.

I spent about an hour trying out the techniques and was able to capture several images ranging from blues and oranges to lovely pastels as the sun rose higher in the sky.

Specific Feedback Requested

I am “still learning” this new technique , so any feedback to help me improve would be appreciated.

Technical Details

Nikon z7
1 sec at f16, iso 64
16mm Nikkor Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3VR

Below are some more of the same type of shots using similar settings and shutter speed as above.

I am not sure if I should post these as individual images for critiquing or as a group.

Please let me know.

2 Likes

Hi,
I would keep your critique posts to one image or maybe 2 versions of the same image.
ICM can be fun, especially on the beach - I think it’s called wave panning and I have done it also, it can be quite fun. =)

Hi Stuart, welcome to NPN! I am glad you posted in the Abstract image critique category. As Matt mentioned, please share 1 image to critique per post. This way the community can provide more targeted feedback. Thank you!

Hello Stuart,

Welcome to NPN. This first post is fantastic. I think you’re getting the ICM, wave panning movement down just fine. The colors are fantastic. Looking forward to seeing more of your work and contributions.

I will have to look up William Patino’s videos.

Cheers,
David

Hi Stuart. Welcome to NPN. Beautiful colours and lines. Nice variety of images. Looking forward to more of your work.

Hi Matt, thanks for your input.

I wasn’t sure about submitting multiple images as when adding the original photo, it asked if I wanted to add more if they were a series in the next step.

Will learn for next time.

Once again, thank you for your input and kind words.

1 Like

Hi Alfredo,

Thank you for your input and kind words.

Stuart

Hi André,

Thank you for your input and kind words. and I am glad you like the images.

Stuart

Hi David,

Thank you for your input and kind words.

I think you will like Williams Patino’s videos. I found them to be very helpful and full of new ideas.

Stuart

Stuart,

First of all, Welcome to NPN! Great to have you here and you’ve posted a wonderful first image! And of course you’ve posted in the correct, and our new category of Abstract Nature. And while ICM’s aren’t eveyone’s cup of tea, there are many including myself who enjoy the process, AND the results that ICM images can produce.

Love the blues and actually the darkness here. This captures the pre-dawn, “blue hour” conditions beautifully in the ICM fashion. Well done!

Regarding your question about posting multiple images, I think has been answered already, but just wanted to add my .02. Yes, typically for the Critiques - 1 image per critique. However, a couple variations of the same subject from either processing changes, maybe a crop, etc., are fine and actually when we re-work images and want to share the new, edited versions, we would encourage to repost in your original thread. The main thought is that posting a long series of images… members aren’t expected and typically aren’t going to critique all of them. (And for anyone shooting ICM’s - we all know that we might just have tons of similar images after an ICM shoot!)

Thanks for sharing and we look forward to more images and for your participation in the galleries and forums! Welcome aboard!
Lon

Hi Lon,

Thank you for our feedback an di will definitely just post one image per critique from now on.

I wasn’t sure and thank to the gentle nudges from everyone, they all pointed me in the right direction.

Love the first image; lovely transition from left to right. Beautifully done. The brightest part on the left is very bright. Do you think that upstages/overpowers the rest of the image? That’s the only thing that comes to my mind when I look at it. Thanks for posting the beautiful image.

Hi Kevin, thank you for your comments and critique. I agree that in this image, the left hand side is a little bright but when you see the image displayed on the wall it seems just about right.

Not sure why it seems brighter in the post.