Survivor

This is an image I captured in 2012 at a thermal area in Rotorua.

I wonder about your preference for the color or b&w versions. Thanks.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Panasonic Lumix DMC_LX5, f.5.6, 1000th sec, ISO 100

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Between the two, I much prefer the color. That said, I would not mind seeing the B&W processing similar to the color, with more contrast and darker mood. I find the B&W almost high key.

Wow, hard choice here. I very much enjoy both actually, and with the processing differences they almost seem like two completely different images. I feel the color version is more dramatic, almost has a feeling of impending doom, while the hi-key processing of the B&W gives it a cheery and lighthearted feel. I like the pano crop and the composition also. For me, I would have to call it a tie for now, but I’ll revisit and see if I change my mind over the next few days.

Harley, Thanks for your reply. I purposely tried the high key B&W to see how it would look. I agree that the color is better. Perhaps I’ll try the B&W with more contrast and gray zones. Thanks.

Bill, Thanks for viewing and commenting on this image. It’s an old image that I was revisiting. The color version has more pop. Thanks.