Swamp Sparrow

I found this Swamp Sparrow mixed in with about 6 Song Sparrows foraging in a patch of grass in Prospect Park

Specific Feedback Requested

I had a number of photos of this bird that I was pleased with, but I wasn’t sure about the pose in this one. It’s a little different. Does it work? Is the crop too tight? Also, I’ve been tilting my head up and down staring at the computer screen with the progressive lenses in my eye glasses and I’m still not sure if the eye/head is sharp? Any other input also appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7D Mark II w/ Canon 100-400. 1/500 sec @ f /5.0, 255mm, ISO 800. Hand held.

Mark: I think the pose is just fine. The low shooting angle helps a lot with the look and the pose.
I’d opt for a bit more room at the bottom of the frame in the crop.

You question about sharpness. I don’t think the head/eye are completely sharp. The plumage looks like it has had a heavy dose of sharpening applied, or texture, or both. And even with that the detail that I would want from the plumage isn’t quite there.

1 Like

I like the pose, keeping an eye out for what might come from above and the aspect ratio. Colors are also very nice as is the composition. But for some reason the processing seems a bit off. Large crop? It seems you have a good eye to pick out a Swamp Sparrow from Song Sparrows.

1 Like

Hi Mark
I like the lead tilt, coloring and low angle. I agree with Keith on opening up the frame’s foreground. As for moving your head up and down with the progressive lens, I keep my head still and move the glasses.
Peter

2 Likes

A little more room on the bottom will be good. I think that your method for photographing birds on the ground is good. Head sharpness is an issue and all it takes is practice and trial and error with your camera settings for optimum sharpness. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Not much of anything to add, Marc. I really like the pose. I agree that the head isn’t quite perfect, but if you opened up the composition a bit more, at normal viewing distances, it would look fine.

1 Like

I think you nailed the colors , Marc. I don’t see the Swamp Sparrow too often. The pose is very fine you’ve got all those great fine sparrow streaks and markings. Agree with those regarding a little more breathing space on the bottom.

1 Like