Swoop

I think this will be my last ICM post for a while. I want to spend some time with the images I’ve taken to learn from them.

Anyway, here’s a shot of some small, vine-like stalks using a swooping ICM style…

Comments on some of my images have noted that they feel too green. So, I toned this one down substantially. It’s important to remember, though, that in the Pacific Northwest, the forests are predominantly green–whether it’s leaves, needles, moss, or Ivy–pictures of forest images are heavily green.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the toned down green work? Does the swoop work? Any other comments appreciated.

Technical Details

100mm, 0.8 Sec @ f/5.6, ISO 100

2 Likes

Living in Texas these past few years, David, has given me a renew appreciation for the great, very green, Pacific Northwest! Green, at least for me, reminds me of a cool softness I don’t find very often here. So, no nits from me about the green. The swoop does add some nice movements and lines. However, for me, I love the lines and definition you have gotten in your “Small Forest” and “Soft Light” photos. In those photos, there is just enough clarity while still leaving a lot for the imagination to wander around. I look forward to the results of your time reflecting on this (ICM) creative technique.

Linda, thank you for your thoughts and comments. I truly appreciate them. I guess this one doesn’t translate well from my own emotional response. It was supposed to be more abstract with just a hint of detail. I was hoping that the soft colors and shades would draw in the viewer. Not necessarily so, though.

No worries,
David

I think this is a very successful image! It is abstract enough that colors don’t matter to me, but I do like the subdued ones here as that complement the soft shapes and lines. I love that the subject here is only something I can infer – I don’t think it’s implied – so as a tree person I’ll see it as a tree abstraction, but it could be many other things, and I like that mystery. It has a strong suggestion of a surface, such as wrinkled fabric blowing in the wind.

Definitely hungry for more!!

David,

Wonderful ICM. I love the flow and even the texture and structure - if there is such a thing as structure here - I think I’m refering to the couple of more defined vertical pieces which kind of anchor the scene for me.

Love the colors - and yes, green is pretty dominant in so many nature scenes and I don’t think, at least with ICM’s, that there can ever be too much green! :slight_smile: I do like however the processing and colors you’ve presented here; contrast. saturation, luminance, all of it. It’s quite pleasing.

I think I know what you mean. I have so, so many ICM’s - and so many different ones. I just wonder how long this is sustainable… I still thoroughly enjoy the process and end results… But I’ll be curious to learn what you might in fact learn about your ICM work. Keep us posted!

1 Like

@Diane_Miller and @Lon_Overacker thank you for your kind comments. Much appreciated. Diane, I’m glad you like the image, wrinkled fabric is a terrific touch.

Lon, I enjoy the process, but I think I need to hone my skills a bit more. I know you never know what you’ll get for sure, but I have started to find a rhythm of shutter speed and movement that gives me what I like. Still polishing that up some.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

David, I love the windswept feeling in this image. There is just a hint of what the subject is but this frame is more about the motion and interplay of light and color. I think it looks great as is!

I like your methodical approach to ICM. It’s good to pause and review what you have done to see what can be improved. We all start with the basic vertical motion especially of trees but I think ICM can unlock even more creativity. I am looking forward to seeing what’s next from you on your creative journey.

1 Like