"T" Marks the Spot?

Another view of the Turquoise-browed Motmot. This one taken on a boat trip on the Tarcoles river that was extremely productive. Our guide had booked the boat (about a 30 passenger tour boat) for just us, but we had a request to add a pair of birders at the last minute, so there were just the four passengers and our guide plus the owner (who was a great local guide) and the boat pilot.

Specific Feedback Requested

I know the iconic tail is missing, but I really liked the way the palm leaves worked with the Motmot. I’d appreciate feedback on how that works.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod with Wimberley Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/2000, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped from a horizontal original to 3708 x 4680. Taken April 27th at 7:27 AM.

1 Like

To me, the bird is perfectly captured (colors, texture, sharpness etc.). I also like a lot that the overall composition is very important for the image. The use of DOF is very good with great sharpness in the FG and a blurred BG. However, to be honest I can not fully make up my mind regarding the inverted T. Of course it is very cool that the T point out the bird but at the same time I am a little bit disturbed by the vertical part (compare a lamppost stickning out of a human head in portrait photography).

Thanks, @Ola_Jovall That was something that worried me as well.

Beautiful bird, Dennis! Love the soft green background, it’s really complimentary with the colors of the bird. I really wish though like @Ola_Jovall that it only had the leaf part and not the stem right behind it.

It is an unusual composition, but a wonderful bird and good setting. I wonder about cropping from the bottom and right to make the bird bigger in the frame, which would mitigate the composition issue a bit.

Just an idea to make the stem a little less noticeable…