Taapaca volcano and little creek

This is one of my favorite places in Lauca National Park, a little known place in the north of Chile. The sunset paints the slopes of the Taapaca Volcano and the grasslands catch fire as if on fire.
A pleasure to be able to share these places with you Greetings from ARica, Chile.

Specific Feedback Requested

I would like to have a general critique.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
f/13, 1/8, ISO 100, 24 mm, Nikon D850 Sigma Art 14-24

@andres.puiggros
6 Likes

Andres, welcome back! Glad to see you.

Wow, there is so much to unpack here. What an incredible scene. And you captured it perfectly. The angle of light, the foreground grasses and the stream, plus the background, this is incredible. Must be seen large and should be printed very, very large!

1 Like

Hi Andres,

I think you have the ingredients for a fine image here. There’s an interesting foreground and great background and soft but directional golden light coming in from the side. No nits from me

1 Like

This is a very compelling image to me. The wonderful light, the interesting foreground of grasses and rocks, the water flowing through the mid-ground, and the mountains in the background all contribute to something I want to spend time looking at.

1 Like

When I first looked at this scene, the song, The Girl From Ipanema instantly came to mind…not so much the words but the ease of the words and how they flow, much like this scene is soft and lovely. Bravo!

1 Like

This masterfully composed, the placment of all the elements look very well though out in this composition. The golden hour light is just beautiful on the grasses, who says you need to have clouds in the sky at sunset, the light on these grasses creates more than enough mood and drama.

Beautiful work Andres :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks David!!! I will print it out soon!!

Muchas gracias Nathan! Very kind words!

Muchas gracias Dean! Nice to know you noticed as I wanted to show!!

Gracias Chis, I will listen to than song!!!

Muchas gracias Ed, indeed when I was there I was missing the clouds, but after I saw the picture in the screen of the camera that was not an issue.

For me, this represents the classic landscape photograph - and so beautifully captured. I’m a big fan of the “rule of thirds” … this does stretch that compositional “guideline”… but it’s there - A strong foreground element, a mid ground and a strong background. And what ties this all together is of course the light… warm and beautiful. I can’t even offer any suggestions. This is a beautiful photograph.

Lon

1 Like

Muchas gracias Lon, for me also light is the key integrator.

Everything has been said already, but I like to add that this is a wonderful image. The light, the scene… Great. A moment without wind, so to see, with a 1/8 s exposure and no movement at all to be seen in the grasses.
I’m looking forward to see more images.

I agree with all the comments about the fine composition.
My thoughts are offered humbly, as it is hard to improve on perfection: The middle is quite a bit brighter than the sunlit areas in the foreground, which seems unbalanced. In this attachment, I increased the luminosity of those grasses and darkened the very bright bush in the middle ground. The foreground grasses had less warm color than those in the middle, so I attempted to warm them. Also brightened the stream a little.