Tale of Time

Here’s an otherwordly mudstone formation illuminated by otherwordly sunset light that David Cobb and I experienced out in the desert in late October. I have made many trips to the desert southwest over the last 15 years and I’m always amazed at how vast and beautiful it is. I was there for almost three weeks this time and I didn’t go to a single place I had been to before. In most places, we saw few if any other people, let alone other photographers.

Unfortunately, people have been climbing on this particular formation so I figured I’d use it as an opportunity to remind about @Nature_First principles. The days of “take only photos, leave only footprints” are behind us. With increased traffic out there it’s important to consider where you are leaving footprints as well. All of the darker patches are places where the top mud layer has been worn through. No matter where you go try to tread lightly and avoid stepping on delicate features like this one so others can enjoy them too.

Technical details or techniques:

Canon EOS R, RF 15-35mm IS, Breakthrough Photography Polarizer, tripod. Single exposure, 2.5 seconds, f/18, 15mm, ISO 100.

9 Likes

Beautiful image and lighting, Sean. Thanks for posting; isn’t nature grand!

1 Like

This is a really gorgeous image Sean, masterfully composed and processed. I love the hourglass shape created by the cloud and the foreground rocks. The highlights on the landscape have a glow on them that is just as beautiful as the glow in the sky. And thank you for reminding us of the importance of the Nature First Principles. It’s kind of sad to know how those dark patches got there.

1 Like

Wonderful photo, important words.
Did you consider focus stacking, or is diffraction at f/18 not an issue with that lens?

1 Like

Thanks @GregVaughn! Lens diffraction is minimal with this lens so I don’t worry about it too much…and I try to avoid focus stacking every chance I get. Haha.