Tavern Patio — Straightened/renamed Quittin’ Time

I’ve been trying to be more visually mindful throughout the day, so I’m starting to do some cell phone photography on the fly. This is the first of this sort I’m sharing.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

How does the cell phone image quality look? I’m sharing straight from the phone. All I did was straighten (I think😅) and warm it a tish.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the composition seem balanced? Is the post on the right too obtrusive—it’s necessary for the rest to work, but I can crop a bit off the right and top.

Any pertinent technical details:

iPhone XR and iPhone photo editor.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Really creative image. It makes me think of what cowboy those feet belong to and is it a rodeo, a barn or what. I might try a CCW rotation and compare. I am not sure what my mind would rather see off square, the post or the corrugated? The post itself works well for me here.

1 Like

I went clockwise because of the pole, then noticed the corrugated metal didn’t line up. I knew y’all would help me figure it out. I was struck by the boot, stump, metal and missing half. This is a tavern near our house in Portland OR, so I doubt the cowboy has rustled up more than a burger and a beer.

Thanks for the encouragement,
ML

Hi
The image, for me, a hunt for meaning.
Nothing about it says tavern…maybe out of work buck-a-rue rolling one up for brunch?..a boot advertisement?..lots of room for words. Was it mystery itself you were trying to capture?
What are you visually and intellectually trying to say with this image? What attracted it to you before you took the picture?
Please keep shooting and posting.
TY

Thanks @stevenm. I wouldn’t say that mystery was my primary purpose here. I just liked keeping the bootwearer’s face hidden as I felt like its absence actually added to the image.

What I liked was the contrast of a) wood beam and stumps and b) corrugated metal and c) the numerous right angles created by the post/corrugate and horizontal orientation of legs/boot.

My title isn’t really appropriate–more of a contextual explanation for the purpose of posting. I think a better title would be “Quitting Time” or something like that.

ML

I think I got it straightened now…the corrugated metal is more dominant so I used that.

So…a highly structured image of something that by definition has no structure, (relaxation)…and depicting both at once is the hook/attraction of the image. If that’s it I get it.
Interpreting photographs, always a challenge since photoshop stole their grip on reality.
TY for the help.

Thanks @stevenm for verbalizing this. So much of photography is unspoken, but verbalized, very poignant. Your questions and your post above has helped me identify what I saw but couldn’t articulate initially.
ML

Well seen! And I like Steven’s interpretation.