Texas spotted whiptail (+ Rework)

This is the revised image after suggestions given in the comments.

This was the original image.

As many times as I have visited the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin, Texas, I often run into this tiny and fast lizard on the ground. The Center is known for its wildflowers and pollinators mostly. However, running into other wildlife is always fun.

As I was walking out to leave the Center that day, I noticed this Texas spotted whiptail lizard. I began making photos of it and noticed it was not afraid of me. I kept getting the camera closer and closer. The photo you see above was made at a distance shorter than a foot (30 cm)! I guess the fact I was approaching it slowly might have given it time to get accustomed to my presence. These whiptail lizards grow to 6.5 to 11 inches (17 to 28 cm) in total length (including tail).

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is welcome. Anything appears overdone to your eyes? I had to crop the image quite a bit to eliminate the concrete distractions on the ground.

Technical Details

Sony 𝛼7C, Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art lens, 1/200 sec at f/6.7, ISO 100, hand held.
The image was taken to Topaz AI for standard sharpening adjustments. Back in LR, I applied basic panel adjustments, added a couple of localized masks, and used the calibration panel at the end.

IG: EgidioTX

1 Like

Egidio, what a neat shot of this cute little guy. I love the eye level view. That is probably also why he let you keep getting closer, where you were not so much of a giant towering over him, and you moved slowly. You managed his environment well. It looks like he is on sand rather that concrete, except where it is in focus around him. Great job. Right off, I can’t think of anything to improve the shot. Doesn’t look over worked to me.

1 Like

First off, thanks for your welcoming message in my introduction. As for the photo here, the eye-level view was all the help I needed since I was not using a tripod. I placed the camera on the ground and stayed far from the lizard. I kept moving the camera while maintaining my distance. As you pointed out, that is likely the reason it didn’t get scared. The ground was indeed rock (limestone, I think). I’m beginning to think lizards may like me. The same happened in Ruidoso-NM with a great-horned lizard. I was able to photograph it up close and was even able to switch lenses. Thanks so much for the feedback. As my eyes get older, I fear I may overcook an image. :grinning:

1 Like

What a gorgeous lizard with beautiful colours, Egidio. My only thoughts are: this could be re-entered as “Parallel Lines” to catch the current Weekly Challenge. And - if you were to think this a good idea, why not crop at the top to remove the dark section? Then the eye would focus completely on the lizard’s lines. Anyway, it’s a fine shot.

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback, Mike. I had not thought of the cropping idea you propose, and I like it. I think since I just joined a day ago, I’ll try to get something for this week’s challenge, either a new photo or something from my library. Again, thanks for your valuable feedback.

@Mike_Friel , following your suggestion for a tighter crop, I went ahead and re-edited the image as you proposed. I’ve added that edit in this revised reply.

2 Likes

Hi Egídio, welcom to NPN and the Weekly Challenge. This is a fine look at a nicely colorful lizard. The details in it’s skin stand out as do the stripes and the subtle color changes in those stripes.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome, Mark. I love watching these lizards, but often they move so fast that it is hard to capture a good shot. I was lucky to have had my macro lens handy and be able to capture more details in its skin.