Thanks for the Seeds! & Repost

Repost based on suggestions….

From the late summer. One of my chickadee visitors!

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400, ISO 1600, 1/1250, 285mm, f/8, cropped , brought down brightness

1 Like

Hi Vanessa, I really like the feeding behavior you captured here - well done. Love the head turn showing off the seed. I think bringing the highlights down even further would help the image. The white on the bird’s face seems bright and some of the flower looks kind of blown out. I’d also consider cloning out the bright area on top of the frame in the center.

2 Likes

A pleasing behavioral shot. I don’t think it would be too difficult to cut the highlights on the cheek of the chickadee. Really good job on the black plumage; it is nice and rich with good detail. Perhaps something can also be done with the flower as Allen said. In my area, chickadees are year-round inhabitants. Should be the same in the your part of Oregon.

1 Like

Hi,

You found a nice composition and the suggested crop and highlight reduction as stated by the previous reviewers will work for me too. …Jim

1 Like

Really cute catch, Vanessa! This type of photo is priceless! I agree with toning down the highlights a bit. Well seen and captured!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback on this @Allen_Sparks @David_Schoen @Jim_Zablotny @terryb . I didn’t realize that it was the highlights that also needed to be brought down to make the whites look better. I had originally brought down the overall brightness and exposure and also the yellows., but couldn’t figure out how to make the whites look better! So thank you for the lesson! I reposted and also decided to just do a tighter crop, hopefully it looks better….

1 Like

Excellent job on the repost, Vanessa. All the chickadees present a problem with those white cheek patches. They’re just so bright. I usually underexpose a trifle on them to make sure I don’t completely blow out those whites. Goldfinches with the brilliant yellow present a similar problem and I’ll usually expose them 2/3 stop under what the camera says I should.

1 Like

A lovely shot, and the RP is a great improvement. I always look at both Highlights and Shadows sliders and usually need to move both. But Highlights can cause a diffuse halo especially noticeable against a sky, and Shadows will bring up noise that you didn’t notice before.

1 Like

Oh Vanessa, what a capture! Your repost looks great. I could see this on a wall!

1 Like

Thanks for the tips and feedback @Dennis_Plank and @Diane_Miller . Thank you so much for your kind words @Shirley_Freeman ! You’re so sweet!

1 Like