That thing about old dogs and new tricks

I’m reading the installation instructions for V7, and nowhere does it talk about manually copying anything, the installer does automatically for you. I don’t think the installation method change between V7 and V6 either. You may want to contact @Tony_Kuyper , in my experience he has been extremely responsive and helpful whenever I have needed support

I have TK6 downloaded, not 7. I figured I’d start with the free version since it’s such a new thing for me. If the installer was supposed to automatically put it in the Ps Panels folder, it didn’t. Possibly because the folder is absent.

Ah, you have the free version, that may change matters, and you may need Tonys help… I’d suggest just getting the paid V7 version and giving it a go, but that’s your decision.

So I’ll see if Tony pops in to offer any advice and just wait. I’m not ‘sold’ on the panels yet since I’ve never worked with one. Call it Yankee frugality, but that’s how I roll.

The way the TK panel is installed has changed over time, and between TK versions partly due to how Adobe does stuff. Your best and safest bet is to contact Tony. i’ve never owned the free version, so I only know the installer in the paid versions.

Thanks for tagging me @Ed_McGuirk. @Kris_Smith, there is an installer in the the download folder for the Basic V6 panel that installs the software. But you have to look inside the download folder to find it. The installer does not run automatically when you download the download folder. You have to open the folder, find your correct operating system (Mac or Windows) folder, and then follow from there. If you’re on Mac, opening the download .zip folder should automatically decompress it. On Windows, you should right-click the download folder and choose “Extract All…” to decompress the .zip download folder. It is correct that Basic V6 and TK7 do not land in the “Plug-in” folder. They are extensions and the installer places them elsewhere. If you continue to have problems, just contact me. I’m sure we can get it working. BTW, I think Basic V6 is the right place to start with these masks, especially if you’re new to PS. There are some vids in the Basic V6 download folder that takes a closer look at luminosity masks and how to use them.

2 Likes

Thanks Tony. A person should never try installing software without being fully awake. I skipped a step I thought I had done. Oy vey. Sorry for all the mad scrambling. The panel is in place and so after chores I can play!

This is a great thread. Sorry I’m late to the party. It sounds like @Tony_Kuyper, @Ed_McGuirk, @Keith_Bauer and others have it covered. I’m always happy to try to answer questions so don’t hesitate to tag me. I have NPN set to send me an email when I am tagged. It might take me a day or two but I’ll always try to chime in.

@Sean_Bagshaw I should have tagged you in the follow on thread to this one. I created a quick video to demonstrate a point using Smart Objects. I mentioned in that short video that if you want to learn all about smart objects, that you had just released a new series on the topic. Here’s that thread:

Very cool. Thanks Keith. I’ll check it out. :slight_smile: