The Bend in Infrared

Please list any pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

This is a pano shot with a gfx 50r and 45mm lens. 760nm IR cut filter.
Initially when I came to this scene I knew I wanted to shoot it, but I wanted my 24mm lens to do it. But I went minimal yesterday and only had a 45 and 80 on me. So I left the scene and thought oh I’ll come back another time with my wide angle, but I couldn’t get it out of my head and I knew I wouldn’t get the dramatic sky that I had. So I went back and made the pano happen. There was a lot of wind, so things would get ruined mid pano and I had to restart a few times.

I really like how the image emphasizes the vine that just takes over the landscape here in Florida .

This is one of the more interesting and imaginative uses of IR I’ve seen lately. The selective IR response of the greenery, as well as the clouds, goes well beyond the cliched white trees typical of most IR photos. It’s also a perfect example of getting the shot you can get at the time; you might never get the same lighting and clouds at another time, even a few minutes later.

1 Like

Thank you. My thoughts exactly. Trying to trust my instincts a bit more.

You created quite an arresting image Matt with your creative vision and processing choices!