The Curl

Edited With a little mid-tone Bump - I like it! it pops more! thanks

Original image posted

A funny thing happened when I explained the need to see and make Art your way when you are in an iconic place.

I was talking about shooting with some teachers in one of these places, and they will show you “the shot” and immediately how stubborn I get inside. (it’s a knee-jerk reaction, honest) I think I don’t want your shot. It is yours. I might have chosen a similar image, but since you said it. Now I don’t even want it. (unless it is just so profoundly beautiful, I must. But 99.99 % of the time, I will start looking for something else stubbornly to make my photo.

So when illustrating this as I often do, I saw this and, well, just had to snap this!

What a curl!

Specific Feedback Requested

I am unsure if the line on the right adds or distracts from the leading lines. Let me know your thoughts. And I would love to hear if anyone else has these knee-jerk reactions.

Sometimes the shallow DOF is distracting, and sometimes not so I would love to hear your thoughts about that also if you are willing.

Technical Details

Gear R5 100 mm
F/5 1/200 Sec ISO 1600
Very little in LR post slight vignetting, a few distracting spots removed, shadows up a bit, and whites a bit to add color contrast to the Curl. Upped the texture and clarity just a bit also and that is it.

2 Likes

WOW!!! The thumbnail grabbed my attention right away, and the larger version held up to the excitement. I think this is fantastically beautiful – such an unusual shape, with perfect DOF! I don’t have even a tiny nit.

I share your feelings about finding your own treasures. I was once in some ionic location (don’t even remember where) and somewhere behind me my husband was remarking to an onlooker, “We came halfway across the country to photograph here and she’s taking a picture of a rock.” Or the time I was in a lovely setting of fall colors and was photographing a dead leaf in an oily puddle in a parking lot.

3 Likes

Nice find. I like the shapes and the colors, but wish for a little more DOF in the critical area of interest which is the end of the leaf. Maybe see about lifting the mid tones a little? That could bring some sparkle.

In terms of finding your own way in an iconic location I am mostly on the side of the instructors here. Why bother attending if you aren’t going to work with the big stuff? If I had a participant that ignored everything I said I’d be mildly insulted and baffled as to why she came on the workshop. Not that you intended that, I’m sure you didn’t, but I am puzzled as to why so contrary. For me the key is to tell the story of the place as I see it. Recently I was in the Badlands in South Dakota and we spent some time at overlooks marveling at and photographing the grand landscapes and it was really fun even though I knew I wasn’t doing anything new. Once I got the big picture I concentrated on smaller ones, going off the path the others were on (sometimes literally) and finding other scenes to round out the story of the place. I like to think I did a good job mixing the iconic views that draw millions of visitors with the often overlooked features that I took the time to find.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I will see what Mid tones can do. I love a slice of focus that’s a personal style thing but often hear more DOF when I slice it thin. :grinning: when getting critiques.

Thank you for the thoughts you shared about the instructor’s perspective. I have had to do some introspective thinking about why I am so resistant. to the instructors that are “See what I see, shoot what I see” Teachers. I hope my resistance does not come out as loud on the outside.

I have had instructors with different approaches, and I prefer the ones that say what do you see? Mindful approaches, What is the feeling of the story, and how can we frame it best? And then we work that way versus an instructor that tells us what to see. If I am at an iconic spot, I hope to see the standard iconic shot by now. lol

But perhaps I am not interested in iconic. Nor how to photograph it. I will give that some thought. Definitely appreciated your perspective.

I do like to shoot with an instructor as they shoot too. Kind of like a shadowing method. I know many instructors feel that is a conflict, but for me, it isn’t if it is balanced by them sharing what they are seeing and how they are framing, composing, techniques of the shot, etc.

But I don’t think I am the normal student. :upside_down_face:

Glad to know I am not alone in my fun! I want to see those shots now! the Rock and the Puddle! It is a funny thing about what catches our eyes and why. I am learning to trust my artistic gut. and just go with it. when I try to force myself to fit in someone else mold I feel my work is not as impactful.

Maybe this is a point to bring up when you sign up for a workshop or similar program. For me when I attend workshops I usually have more experience behind the camera than the people running it, but that doesn’t mean I can’t learn anything from them. Mostly I tell them that I’m a student of the location. If the guide is very knowledgeable about a location, s/he can help me find what’s amazing about it and then I’ll set about creating images myself. Being clear with instructors is key to getting the most out of a workshop. Most of the time I’m good at getting the right compositions, but if I’m waffling (oh boy do I waffle sometimes) then I’ll snag someone and explain what’s happening and usually I get my head on straight after talking it through. Leaders feel valued, but I don’t feel boxed in this way. If you prefer a shadow method, being clear about that is probably the best way to get the most out of your time and money, and the leader’s too.

2 Likes

What a curl, Ariel! Nicely captured. I’m good with the amount of DOF, but the midtones adjustment may improve the shot even more. Nicely captured.

I have never had the opportunity to go on a workshop. I do get to go photograph with a friend once in a while, and we both share what we see in case the other wants to investigate their photographic inspiration on the same subject, but neither of us is insisting on the other needing to capture it the way they have.

3 Likes

Thanks, Ariel. I have probably posted the puddle before - I’ll go look. It was not as well done as it should have been – I was hastily hand-holding in a very awkward position (before the days of reticulated back screens and easy focus stacking), in a rush to catch up with a camera club group. I had been practically begging people to notice this little scene and everyone wished they had listened to me after they saw the image in a competition. There was also a lovely abstract on a nearby dumpster.

I wish I could remember where the rock was, but it was probably below expectations.

1 Like

Let me know what you think I added the Adjusted one above. I like it definitely pops better!

I do like it.

1 Like

I just wanted to share that I entered this one at the Florida State Fair in Macro, which took first place. Thanks for the editing Tips. I think this helped.

3 Likes

Congratulations! That is wonderful!

1 Like

Thanks! A nice surprise for sure!

1 Like