The Dark Secret of Hummingbird Photography

Juan, the jack of all trades at our first lodge in Costa Rica seemed to love to put out the sugar water for hummingbirds. This Green-crowned Brilliant was in too big a hurry to wait.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 400 mm, monopod with Wimberley Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/640, iso 8000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 7290 x 4734 pixels. Taken at 2:28 PM on April 17th. The rainy season came early this year and afternoons were quite dark, so I had a lot of really high iso images that were still somewhat underexposed.

1 Like

Wow, Dennis, that is just too cool! I have put sugar water in a bloom once and got some shots. It is a great way to “encourage them to the blooms” so that you get more natural images.

Such great details in that stop action shot of this beautiful hummer. I put the feeder up and have seen one thus far. Hopefully more soon. I have a flower in bloom that they do like, right below the feeder, so hoping to get them using it when more hummers are competing for the feeder.

@Shirley_Freeman There were swarms of this species at the lodge. I have an image with three of them feeding from one port of a feeder and a fourth coming in to it.

1 Like

Cool! And ISO 8000 – cooler!! Can’t wait to see some of your images!

Yes, this is how it works in Costa Rica at the ecolodges. Nice shot!

A really cool shot. I would be very pleased with an image of this beautiful bird alone, but the story you tell with your shot is great.
Looking forward to see more.