The Function of Color

What technical feedback would you like if any? The belly region of the finch is very bright. Do you think that its tolerable?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? This is not an artistic view, but shows how disruptive color patterns work to conceal a goldfinch in native sunflower patches. It gives therm a colak of invisibility (LOL).

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) Cropped 30% off the frame for composition. D500 600mm f4 (1/1000 sec at f9.0, Iso 400, -2ev fill) Levels, DeNoise AI, Adjust AI, Shadows & Highlights for highlight suppression. Dennis, I can appreciate your feelings about male goldfinches–they are tough to process to get those yellows looking right…Jim

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like this a lot as an environmental image, Jim. While that belly is pretty bright, I see fine detail throughout in the large image. You might try bringing it down just a little, though it can be difficult to make look right. If you’re using Tony’s luminosity masks, you might try that-it’s probably the smoothest method.

You might look at taking a bit off the top. When I scroll it on the screen it seems to work better that way.

Good job finding a male in this fine a plumage this late in the season. Most of ours are looking pretty seedy.

Sunflowers and goldfinches certainly go together well. This environmental image works really well due to the complementary colors and the depth of field. The goldfinch pops nicely.

This is a wonderful shot, Jim. They are probably hard to discover in a sunflower field. I agree with Dennis about maybe cropping a bit from the top, although this works too. Looks like he is giving you the eye. Well done.