The Last Remnant of Summer

This was the last remnant of summer in our field in Mendocino, from about a month ago. All the rest of the wild mustard had gone to seed and dried up, but these two shoots were hanging on.

Specific Feedback Requested

I kept the colors and tonality subdued and not too warm, to evoke a wistful feeling for the summer past. So, any comments on the mood this conveys would be welcome (and of course, anything else that strikes you).

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 105mm, 1/200s, f/4, ISO 400. Cloned distracting bits out; color adjustment, dodging, burning.

Beautiful, Bonnie. The contrast between all the growth gone and brown and the flowers and greenery is excellent and goes really well with the DOF. I quite like it.

Wonderful image and just right for the topic. Well done.

Remnants is right. Very evocative of the last grip of life before dormancy.

There is a wabi sabi feel to this and I think it’s very nice, especially with the dew. The only comment is probably to soften the darker OOF “blobs” in the background.

Thanks, @Harley_Goldman, @Jim_Gavin, @Kris_Smith, and @Adhika_Lie.

Adhika, yes, it might be worthwhile to lessen those dark blobs.

The first thing that struck me was the lovely colors. I’m glad you kept them subdued, which is generally the palette of the coast, both its vegetation and light. This is a thoughtful image and very appropriate to illustrate the end of summer.

1 Like

Wonderful soft feel, Bonnie, at least for me. The image tell a wonderful story of seasons gone by and seasons to come. Nicely done.

1 Like