The leap

This was taken just before another image I posted of the same starling. Yes he could probably use a better had turned but this is what I got and I liked the depth of field with the background mirroring the tonality of the starling. On the boardwalk.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details: iso-320, 400 mm +1.4 extender, F4 .0, thousandth, A7r4, handheld

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I like the energetic pose and the perspective of the boardwalk rail, David. A very nice background.

Nice shot David. I like the head turn and energy of the alert pose. It adds some movement or suspense to the photo. I also like the nice look at the timbers and the matching colors. I am trying to figure out what the timbers planks are. If they are the board walk they would be horizontal and if a fence they would be vertical. Nice matching bg as well.

It is a boardwalk but it goes uphill…

Hi David. I think the other David misunderstood your question. The boardwalk in question has a railing (about 3x6) that’s tilted at about 45 degrees. I’m not sure why, but I suspect someone did it for drainage (it’s the wet side of the Cascade mountains) or to keep people from sitting on it.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank and @David_Schoen. I kind of thought it might be a sloped handrail like that. It just seemed it might be built out of individual little planks which does not make sense. Perhaps there is a joint there. It is a dandy photo with lovely natural colors.