The Mad Look + Repost

I like the look of the expression of this Great Blue. I’m not sure if he thought I had enough photos of him or what. I can get a bit carried away sometimes on just how many shots are needed.

I took the advice that you all kindly gave to me, Allen, Keith & Dennis, and cropped the sky out. Also a bit tighter on the sides, mainly the left. I think it looks better. What do you think?

What technical feedback would you like if any? Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything that might help.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D II, Canon 100-400 mm L lens, at f6.7, 1/500, ISO 400, handheld.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

You have good detail in the heron and I like the perch and pose. I could see this with a tighter crop, a bit off the left and right and eliminating the sky.

1 Like

I think this is a nice environmental capture of the GBH. The perch and the foreground bushes all add a nice story. The water in the background directly behind the bird is also nice and fortunately the shore line didn’t merge with the birds head. I think I could do without the sky as it doesn’t add anything to story for me.

1 Like

Great perch and angle, Shirley. It does look rather irate. I tend to agree with the idea of eliminating the sky. I’d actually be tempted to get rid of the land on the far shore and have all water on the top, but it would be a lot of work.

1 Like