The Mortality of Monuments + Repost

Bonaventure Cemetery is in many ways a Victorian cemetery. It is also the story of Savannah in the 19th and 20th century. Alleys and roads take the wanderer through overarching Live oaks, through camellia and azalea bushes, through the ever present Spanish Moss and Resurrection fern, past Sago Palms and Wrought iron fences, marble and cast statues, and a bewildering variety of tombstones and monuments. It reeks of a long gone way of life, replaced by rows of identical grave markers with sterile plastic flowers that are a large part of modern burial grounds.

There is a melancholy air to Bonaventure. It is both decay and beauty and a sense of time passing, a genuine feeling of those who have gone before.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

Camera Info: Nikon D500, HH
Lens: VR 300mm f/4E
Focal Length: 300mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Dynamic, 25 points
VR: ON
Aperture: f/6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/200s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Center-Weighted
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 1250
Full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2018, Topaz Studio and DeNoise, Camera Raw filter, TK sharpen for web @ 50%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Like it a lot, with just a bit more room at the top…
Interesting, I spent yesterday wandering around the oldest cemetery in Portland.
Nothing as nice as this.

This is a really great image, Phil and complements the text very well. My only small nit is that it feels like the image could use just a sliver more room at the top.

The text is wonderful, Phil, as is the image…and yes, a little more room at the top would work. The wife and I spent hours walking through this cemetery a number of years ago, I added many unique new images to my cemetery file. Your text carried me back to Bonaventure Cemetery, taking my time, meandering along the lanes, through the foliage and amazed at the Spanish Moss, gorgeous.

Y’all mighty picky, bless your hearts.:grin:

A inch can be mean a lot…much better.

That did it, Phil. Great image.

My thoughts exactly - increases the attraction of that lovely detail on her robe and wreath.