The Royal Salute

The Royal Salute.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D III; 70-200 mm; ISO 400; 1/400 sec. at F 4.

jagdeeprajputphotographie
3 Likes

She (?) looks so happy, at least I hope this is a happy greeting. Lovely lighting and nicely done.

Thanks @linda_mellor !
She is ‘he’ , unlike their African cousins, only males have tusks in Asian elephants.

1 Like

Caught in beautiful light. Do you know why he has those long dark marks on both cheeks?

1 Like

Hi Mike!
It’s a ‘masth’ (sort of liquid) flowing from its temples, it’s during temporary period when elephant is sexually active, they are aggressive and unpredictable during that period.
BTW this is a double masth elephant, ‘masth’ is flowing from it’s organ too, as a result it’s hind legs are dark.

1 Like

I admire your courage, then!

1 Like

Another great elephant shot, Jagdeep! Nice composition and the clarity is superb as always. I like the light in this and the fact that the elephant is clearly communicating with you. Out of curiosity, were you shooting from a vehicle? Since you were using a 70-200 lens you had to have been fairly close!

1 Like

Terrific action pose and thanks so much for the additional info about the species. I have never had the privilege to see wild elephants, but maybe someday. It seems the relationship is different between them and humans because they can be (somewhat?) domesticated. Does that ring true for you as well, @JRajput? I can’t recall seeing African elephants plowing or carrying people.

1 Like

Thanks @Gary_Minish, yes I was shooting from open jeep.

Thanks @_Kris, I somehow associate myself more with wild elephants, I’ve been shooting them for last 32 years.