The thief!

I was on a trip with the Delmarva Birding group, specifically to see baby Brown Pelicans on a rookery near Smith Island MD. Our half of the group was on a moving skiff, so we were not far above the water. Tide was low and the captain couldn’t get us closer. Of the thousands of images I shot, this one really made me smile. When I saw that I had captured this egg-stealing gull among the thousands of nesting Brown Pelicans and Double-Crested Cormorants, I knew I had something a little different. Shooting conditions were not ideal but it was a great trip and I recommend one of these trips to any birder near the Delmarva Peninsula.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 1000. Canon 5D Mark IV. Canon 100-400 mm lens.

Hi Donna
Did the gull get out of there with the egg? Great interaction, with the Pelicans standing around this gull. Sound like a fun day.
Peter

1 Like

Donna, there is so much emotion in this image. It makes me wonder if the parents are watching. That Seagull is one brave bird!

I love the balance of the two Pelicans on each side. Wonderful composition, and a very emotive image.

1 Like

Beautifully composed, Donna, and the gull is a perfect addition to the image. I really like the chunk of driftwood in the foreground as well. I do see what looks like the tail of a bird just sticking into the left side of the frame that you might want to consider removing.