The Unknown

Ok, I’ll admit it. This image was inspired by a recent visit to Ikea :astonished: I was walking through the wall decor section when, out of the corner of my eye I spotted some beautiful pictures that had this wonderful light, airy, Nordic feel to them. I really liked them and when I got home I jumped into my Lightroom catalog to see what I had that had a similar feel. This is one of the images I found and processed.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback is most welcome and appreciated.

Technical Details

Shot from a hill opposite with a 100-400mm lens at 400mm with a 1.4x teleconverter for a focal length of 560mm

3 Likes

Wow, this is sensational, Tom. You should sell it to Ikea… :slightly_smiling_face:

Seriously, I like the layers of cloud/fog and trees. The brightness works quite well too. Excellent.

1 Like

Thanks @David_Bostock !

Actually I wouldn’t mind at all if I sold an image of mine to Ikea. :grin: The idea that an image of mine would bring joy to people around the world would make me quite happy.

1 Like

Looks great, Tom. Nice and dreamy.

I love this Tom. Very ethereal and beautiful.

Great overall moody scene here, Tom… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you @Harley_Goldman , @Eva_McDermott and @Paul_Breitkreuz . I’m thrilled that you guys like this because I do too. :slight_smile:

I would be thrilled to looking through my hard drive and find something like this that I had totally forgotten about. Lucky you. You could go even further by lowering the contrast and maybe increasing the dehaze a little. Just a suggestion since you are looking for light and airy. This is sensational, Tom. Oh, and I think a square crop of the left side would also work. The trees and that little valley really paid dividends for you on this.

1 Like

Hi Tom -This is wonderful hard drive find! I am glad that Ikea inspired you to process it. I think the composition, light, and processing all work very nicely together. Beautiful work!

1 Like

This is very nice Tom. Everything just looks wonderfully moody. Cheers.

1 Like

I’ll have to say, IKEA is one of my favorite stores and I don’t even like shopping! I can’t imagine them having a better photo than this one. It’s got such a peaceful, soothing feeling to it. Definitely could see this nice and big on a wall. Beautiful composition of a beautiful moment.

1 Like

@David_Haynes , @Sarah_Marino , @Phil_G and @Vanessa_Hill - thank you so much for your feedback and your kind words! I’m thrilled that the image resonates with others as much as it does with me.
I’m also really happy I found this in the dark corners of my photo library and I think I need to make another expedition there to see what other treasures can be found. :wink: Fortunately, I keep my library relatively small (around 20,000 images) because I shoot deliberately and delete the really awful images.

2 Likes

I just found this (got way behind again) and have to add how much I love it! Definitely classic. I love the color, too!

I’m wondering if there is a tiny bit more canvas at the bottom?

Thank you @Diane_Miller for the comments! Unfortunately the raw file doesn’t go any further down. I did crop a little off the top and sides though…

What a dreamy composition!

1 Like

Hey Tom! No critique here really! Just stopping by to let you know this shot stopped me dead in my tracks. Lovely shot!

1 Like

Thank you @annalwilson and @David_Johnston for your kind words! :slight_smile:

You bet! Keep up the great work!