The Washing Machine

I thought I’d try something different this time and post an image I’m personally happy with, rather than an image I’m currently working on.

This was shot at a popular spot on the Northern Beaches of Sydney, Australia on a particularly rainy and wild April morning in 2016. Thankfully an offshore breeze protected me from the large waves crashing into the gorge in front of me, though they still rushed past me at knee height upon landing.

Seascaping can be a hairy business, and my hope with this image was to demonstrate a little bit of that to the viewer.

This image is a re-edit from the original, and i’m far happier with how it turned out than the original. Nonetheless, I’m still interested in what feedback you have for me!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Any pertinent technical details:

Shot on a Sony A6000 with 16-50 kit lens at 16mm. Exposure is somewhere around 0.5s with base ISO and f/8.

Allow other members to download your photo to demonstrate processing examples only?

Of course.

8 Likes

Hi Sam,

I love the drama of this scene. Especially as this location is often shot at sunrise I find this interpretation refreshing. I also like the blue dominated colour pallet.

Nathan

1 Like

Great interpretation and mood, Sam. The drama works very well, it makes me wanna go in a safer place.

1 Like

Beautiful, Sam! No suggestions from me, I think you nailed it. A most enjoyable image to view.

1 Like

There’s great drama here and the composition and flow of the water help direct the eye toward the top middle well. In my view this is a very stylized photo (as far as colors and glowiness goes), so if that’s what your aim was you nailed it!

1 Like

Positively awe inspiring, and the most dramatic, dynamic seascape I’ve seen, maybe ever, Sam. WOW!

1 Like

Oh My! Grace, elegance combined with hard drama. This is exceptional! Thanks for sharing this beauty.

1 Like

This is absolutely wonderful. You did a great job reprocessing this and i just love the look, feel and drama it has! Cheers!

1 Like

I can only echo the comments from others, fantastic mood and color!

1 Like

WOW! What power! I love the title.

1 Like

I don’t really have any cc on this mate. It’s really well captured especially in terms of shutter speed, it really makes the image. Great shot

1 Like

Everything looks bang on to me :+1:t2:

1 Like

This is a joy to explore, Sam. I love the shutter speed, the color palette of the water, and the sense of movement. I too would be very happy with this. If I were to suggest anything, it would be a tish more room on the sides (unless that brings unwanted elements) and possible some retouching of the top central wave action so it is not quite so bright / dominant. IMHO, and it is humble, the wave action at the top pulls too hard and fast through the otherwise captivating movement and lines of the water and foreground.
ML

1 Like

Wow. It’s entrancing. Wildness caught in an instant. I like the zig-zag of rock edges in this, too. Not only was your composition and shutter speed fantastic, but whatever you did for processing worked great, too. This thing is mesmerizing.
( I get nervous when moving water is hitting my knees…)

1 Like

Wow! I had a rather busy weekend away from everything and didn’t realise this image would garner such a response! Thanks so much to all for the incredibly kind comments. I’d like to tag you all but I think I’m limited in that regard.

@Brent_Clark I definitely gravitate toward a stylised edit most of the time, absolutely. Thanks mate!

@Bill_Pelzmann It’s quite funny - I never normally title my images and thought of this one in about 5 seconds as I was making this post!

@Marylynne_Diggs Thanks so much! normally I shoot with a Nikon D810 and 15-30mm lens however this was shot on the Sony A6000 with the 16-50 kit lens at 16mm (24mm equiv), so I was as wide as I could be at this particular point in time. I went back a few months later with the D810 in similar conditions and it’s funny - I only gravitated back to the 21-24mm focal length range. I do have a shot at 15mm there as well in completely different conditions. Great call on the wave luminance at the top too - looking at it now I agree!

@GennyK Yeah - this is an extremely popular location to shoot in Sydney for this reason! It’s called the North Narrabeen Gorge (or just Narrabeen Gorge) and I reckon you’ll find a stack of other great shots of it if you look through 500px etc. As for the water side… that lack of nervouseness is possibly why I’m in need of a new camera after salt killed my current one!

I really think you did a fantastic job with this one! I particularly like the way the sky and wave intermingle almost mimicking each other. Bravo!

1 Like

Fantastic image Sam! Your perfect shutter speed for wave motion, cool tones, evocative contrast, and the the stellar blending of the upper wave blowing into the sky make this an exceptional signature image. Great work!

2 Likes

Stellar image, Sam. Very strong, dynamic composition and powerful atmosphere. Processing looks great.

1 Like

Stellar image for sure! No doubt you captured the force of the water quite well. I really appreciated you processing with subtle blue colors. So nice!

1 Like

This is a powerful and dynamic image Sam. Love it just the way it is.

1 Like