The Woods at AuTrane

This is another picture I made last week in Upper Michigan. I think this was the first picture I shot while hiking down the trail along the AuTrane River and I think it might be one of my favorites. There was no wind at this time and I decided to use a cpl and 6 stop ND to see how it worked out. It was bright enough that I thought the 6 stop ND might give me a look I like and help with the water.

Pertinent technical details or techniques to help others learn:

5DMK4, 16-35 F/4 L @22mm, ISO 100, F/16 at 5 sec.

If this is a composite please be honest with your techniques and share some details so others can learn:

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
1 Like

Beautiful and quiet scene, Nick. Lots of nice color and lines.
-p

Hi Preston, Thank you! I had fun shooting this and processing the raw file made me glad I shot this image. It was such a nice trip because my wife was along and we meet up with a couple of photographer friends that made it even more special…good times!

I love the mysterious mood given by the combination of light and colors. And again that strong Eastern Woodland atmosphere. I know that Michigan is not supposed to be “the East”, but it does feel very familiar…

Thanks Alberto, Hey , it is in the Eastern time zone so that must help . :smile: Appreciate getting your thoughts.

Wonderful image, Nick. Love the way you processed. Really evokes the feeling of the northern forests.

Hey Dave, I’m really glad you liked this. I too was happy with the outcome on this one getting it ready for a new metal print. A little more dodge and burn that I picked up from Adam Gibbs and he is one of my favorite photographers. Thanks, Nick

You really have a talent for these scenes and they are not easy at all…
I think forest scenes are the hardest of any in the landscape discipline and you seem’o have them mastered.

Hey Dan, Thanks for the kind words! So glad you like it. I know for years I had a hard time with these forest scenes and trying to capture what I was seeing. I’ll keep at it! Nick

A beautiful setting, Nick. Looks like a terrific place to sit down and enjoy with a fine mix of colors and the quiet stream.

Thanks Mark! I really do enjoy this place and look forward to visiting the area when I’m up in the U.P. I normally don’t even find anybody else there! :wink: