Threading the needle

I’ve been coming to this wetland area for at least 20 years and have never seen a Northern Flicker although this is clearly their habitat. Although the light was a little harsh in the direction I was shooting, this was my only clear view. And once again it is a very large crop, about 15% of full frame. A little bit of cloning which can be discerned from looking at the second posted image.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Iso-3200, 400 2X, F7 .1, 2500th, A7r4, handheld, 9 megapixels out of 61 megapixels or 15% of full frame

it appears that with the new system, I am unable to add a second image to the original post. But here is the original un cropped image.

@David_Schoen Hi David. Nice job getting through all the branches to get a clear shot of the f
Flicker. If you want to add your image into the original post, you can just click the pencil under your post to go into the edit mode and add it there. I could wish for a nicer head turn, but you sure caught that brilliant tail nicely and image quality looks good.

Nice job in getting the flicker open between all those branches. Those tail feathers really stand out: at first I though they were late fall leaves. Good detail for that large a crop.

A good looking flicker. You got a really good look at the color on the tail feathers. It is interesting the males do not always seem to have that splash of red on back of head. Well done on the focusing. Hopefully they show up in that region more often.

That’s quite a save!! And some good cloning!

I had not seen them in our area (which may not mean anything) until a few years ago, when I began flushing some as I drove out our road past a neighbor’s house. Then last summer one started roosting on an exposed beam on a deck roof under construction. The beam was covered and we put up what was advertised as a Flicker house and to my amazement, it moved in and is roosting there!! Bad location for pictures but I’m hoping. Also for progeny.