Tiger Swallowtail on Joe Pye Weed

Pertinent technical details or techniques to help others learn: D500 600mm f4 (1/4000 sec at f5.0, Iso 1000) Camera Flat Profile, Levels, Topaz Detail. Joe Pye weed is a popular nectar source for late-summer butterflies…Jim

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
1 Like

This is beautiful, Jim!

Jim: Terrific catch and capture. I like your comp and the wing position. Excellent use of your long lens. :+1::+1:>=))>

Jim, this is a really fine look at this Swallowtail. The contrasting colors in the FG along with the solid BG works very nicely…:sunglasses:

Thank you. The 600mm is a good lens for large insects. I prefer using long lenses over shorter lenses while doing macro work…Jim

A big echo from me. I agree with the critiques already offered. 'Nuff said!

A real beauty! Nice flower, BG and terrific pose from the 'fly.
Well done!
Sandy

Thank you. I took a series of shots of this guy and was not too happy with them. This was the best one of the bunch…Jim

Nice shot and comp. Do you happen to know what that plant is? It looks a bit like iron weed but the color is different.

Greg,

The plant is Joe Pye weed (Eutrochium purpureum). Thank you for the comments…Jim