Time to leave the beach

Description:

A few days ago when walking along the beach near my weekend cottage situated at the south-coast of Sweden I came across this scene.

The rain was imminent, and not having any raincoat, I just had a few seconds to take this image with my small travel camera before rushing home!

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any comments are welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No
f/22, 1/125, ISO 200, 17 mm (34 mm equiv.), camera Olympus Pen E-P7, Olympus lense 17 mm

3 Likes

I love it. Reminds me of something you’d find on Cape Cod - the chair, the grass and the storm. The way you’ve got the clouds fanning out almost to the edge works well. It implies movement, but yet the grasses are still and sharp in the frame. The wedge of ocean is a nice counterpoint to the heft and presence of the chair. Great for B&W. Hope you didn’t get wet!

Ola, I just love this and the wonderful feel it has. It stirs some emotions and works beautifully in b&w. Excellent composition and processing. I agree with Kris looking like it could be Cape Cod. Really nice work!

Now that’s a chair with a great view…

Love your B&W processing here, it adds to the drama factor. A bold and interesting image, I’m enjoying this a lot Ola.

For some reason I relate this to Ingmar Bergman. Perhaps it’s the context of b&w and the clouds. It’s interesting that you shot this from a low angle upwards. For these reasons I don’t find this to be a pleasant and relaxing Cape Cod vacation. Ursula Andres is about to have an emotional breakdown. Lol.

1 Like

Ola, this is really nice. I like the black and white treatment, and the contrast of the white bench. Placement of the bench works very well, leading the eye into the clouds. Great catch.

Fantastic capture, Ola. For me the B&W treatment gives me a feeling of nostalgia of summers spent on the beach. The white chair is key to this scene and I love the dark foreboding storm cloud fanning out across the sky. No suggestions from me.

@Kris_Smith, @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_Lowe, @Nick_Bristol, @David_Bostock and @Ed_McGuirk thanks for your kind comments.

I tried to arrive at a feeling that there is a hint that there could be something more to worry about than the storm.

This is SO wonderful!! The whites are beautifully handled and the unusual perspective gives the clouds the importance they deserve because of their fascinating shapes. Well done!

You succeeded. Making the grasses dark in your b&w conversion was a good idea. They are sharp and pointy, partially blocking our view of the chair. Combined with the lowering clouds does give a sense of foreboding around the chair.

Thanks @Diane_Miller and @Bonnie_Lampley. Glad you liked the image!