Tombolo

Loch Eribol, Sutherland, Scotland

This amazing isthmus of land separated from the main land by a wafer thin walkway with back to back concave beaches is called a tombolo. This one has the ruins of an old lime kiln dug into the rock face a small jetty and a single white cottage on it. In these conditions surrounded by soft light and wreaths of blowing mist it would seem to be one of the loneliest places on the planet. I shot slightly before sunset in the softest light. and weak colour.

Pentax 67II, 55-100 zoom, unfiltered, f/11 at 4 Seconds. Fuji Velvia 50.

I think you’ve conveyed the feeling of loneliness very well. I like the hint of mountains? in the bg mist. Maybe a little crop from top?
:vulcan_salute:

Yep I agree with @Michael_Lowe that this image really conveys solitude. the crop looks good to me as-is but I might lighten the central portion of the image a wee bit and perhaps burn down the brightest portion of the sky (at least along the upper frame edge). I find my eye being directed to the brightest area of the sky, away from the subject matter.

I like the muted, somber blue and green color palette here. it is very fitting for an image where you are trying to convey a feeling of loneliness and solitude. The strip of land leading to the cottage creates a nice anchor point to the image. I would prefer to see a crop where about half of the white sky was eliminated. I think it would place more emphasis on the landscape, while still retaining the mood created by the fog and clouds near the horizon.

Hi Ian - Your image definitely conveys a sense of loneliness and isolation. The light you captured is superb. I would not want to be out there on a stormy night.