Torch Ginger

This is a Torch Ginger, a species of Wax Flower. I came across this beautiful flower while traveling in Costa Rica.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? cropping? background?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D5 1/500 sec f/5.6 ISO 1600 122mm, handheld Lightroom, Photoshop, Topaz DeNoise AI

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

kellyireland1955

Excellent sharpness and gorgeous colouring, Kelly - the red working beautifully on the black bg. I would just like tto see the highlights toned down as the light is a touch harsh, but this remains a very striking image.

1 Like

A flower that I’ve rarely if ever seen. “Wax” in its name is appropriate as the petal’s sheen shows well because of the light highlights. Beautiful capture. Thanks for posting this.

A gorgeous flower, Kelly and your handling of the reds is outstanding-not an easy task. I also like the angle you chose. I’m rather surprised you managed to get enough depth of field at f/5.6. Beautiful image.

Kelly: A new flower for me as well and one that really grabs the eye. Wonderful details in the center and fine work on the reds. Most excellent. >=))>

A very interesting photo of a flower never seen before not even in an image. Details and colors are splendid and shining with impossible reflections.