Tortured Soul (with recommended Edits)

Original

Reduced the Cyan and warmed the right side along with burning bright crack in URC

This image was taken near the same location as my previous post, Above and Below, on my Fall colors trip a couple months ago. As I was scrambling around on the side of the these rocks I noticed this really abstract oddity. It looked twisted, tortured and anguished. At least the left side of the image did. The colorful left side of the image is Juxtaposed by the Monotone color of the right side. I thought this would make an interesting and unique image and, I really do see a tortured soul.

Specific Feedback Requested

Edge patrol was particularly tough with this rock formation so let me know if there is something along the edges, particularly the right edge of the frame , that draws your attention but is also something I can fix.
Anything and everything!

Technical Details

Z7ii, 24-70mm lens @ 60mm, f/16, ISO 125, 1 second exposures, 5 stacked images

5 Likes

David, I really like the 50-50 side to side color split here. Seems almost perfect in that respect thru either composition and or cropping. My only thought for possibly a warmer look might be to bring down the cyan cast a bit. Just a thought… :sunglasses:

Wow, David. This reminds me of a Picasso painting, with actually two tortured souls in the red-orange rocks. What a great catch. You were definitely in the zone on this trip!

This looks really good, David. It is an excellent abstract. On the edge patrol topic, I might darken the blue lines as they exit the edges on a couple of the little lines, but that is pretty dang minor to my eye. Very nicely done.

Wow, David. Those colors are so intense, especially for a geologic view. Well seen, indeed. I think the comp is great and as @Mark_Muller said, two tortured souls. An excellent image all around.

I really like this and I think you did a stellar job with it. The comp, with the 50:50 split works so well here and can totally see the face in the left half. Great find!

A truly awesome photo!

Really cool rock formations, David! I do kind of see what you see and I agree from that standpoint with @Mark_Muller that it is like a Picasso. But the more I look at it the more I keep seeing a horse’s head! With the mane hanging over the eye. Which makes me like it more! :blush: Nice find and composition!

Vanessa, now I can only see a horse, too - but a tortured horse! I also thought that the bright thin line running to the UR edge might be toned down as it’s a bit of an eye-catcher. But it’s an exciting and vibrant nature abstract.

1 Like

Great image David!
So much to see here. The shapes, the lines, the colour scheme all work well together.

@Paul_Breitkreuz. @Mark_Muller, @Harley_Goldman, @David_Bostock, @Tom_Nevesely, @Tony_Siciliano, @Vanessa_Hill, @Mike_Friel, @AndreDonawa…Thanks very much for your thoughts on this one. I’m pretty sure you guys are seeing the same things that I’m seeing. Call it a horse head or what I initially saw, a cows head with that big nostril down at the bottom of the frame and also a couple of other smaller weird critters.
I’ll post a revision tonight with some of the cyan removed.
Mark, I immediately thought of a Picaso painting when I saw this. I didn’t want to mention it because I didn’t want to lead the viewers there and I wanted to wanted to see if you guys could come up with it on your own. Glad you noticed that Mark. It was a great trip.
I’ll also darken a couple of the lines that were mentioned in the URC and along the right edge.
Thanks as always for helping me out with lots of additional eyes. It’s amazing what we miss in our own images. :slight_smile:

2 Likes