Treasure

In this image, I tried to capture the movement and shimmer of the Aspen leaves as they twist and turn in the wind. This photo was taken in the Warner Mountains of Southeast Oregon.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

2 Likes

Great image, a gold treasure indeed! I like the bluriness, is it due movements and longer exposure time? A matter of personal opinion, and a minor issue, but maybe the brightest highlights could be darkened a tad?

Funny, I was thinking perhaps the darker leaves could be a tiny bit darker, but either or, I like it because it makes me feel as if I am there watching the leaves.

I can certainly understand why you titled this Treasure. They look like gold coins. It’s like opening a treasure chest and seeing these things shine. There is also a modernist look to this fairly loose composition. I don’t know what to recommend in the way of improvement. I sort of agree that the blown out highlights should be addressed. On the other hand, if all is blurry than what difference do overexposed highlights make? I guess I’m just not qualified to comment on blurry images.

Perfect! The leaves do resemble gold coins in a treasure chest. I wouldn’t change anything. The highlights on a few leaves are quite bright, but they work. It’s as if the light is reflecting off the odd coin.

Shimmering gold. So beautiful, Chris, as it is!

I think you got it, Chris! Poplar and aspen are so gorgeous, but sometimes difficult to photograph in a way that isn’t static, to broad or to isolating. This scene is a nice balance. The leaves do look like a shower of gold coins. Precious and fleeting. Something that comes into your consciousness for a brief time, but lasts in the memory. Something you want to return to again and again.

@Ola_Jovall, @Kris_Smith, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Igor_Doncov, @Chris_Calohan, @Mark_Muller
Thank you all for your varied and interesting comments. Much appreciated.

I love the great variety of shades of yellow, the depth looking through the leaves, the creative designs. Is this dynamic invariance? I really love this image Chris.

1 Like

This is quite lovely Chris, what a wonderful mosaic of gold coins. Given the overall softness and warmth of the image, the brightest highlights in the leaves don’t bother me much. And I would be very careful in trying to pull that clipping down, go too far and you risk losing some of the energy and vitality in this image.

@Ed_McGuirk I’m grateful for your detailed comments on the photo.