Tree at Fafiao River

Hey everyone.

On the limits of Gerês Natural Park flows a beautifull rivar called Fafião river.
On my second visit on this location this tree caugth my eye, the light lichens created some constrast with the background creating some separation.
Tryed to frame it more with the tree against the mountain as a background, but gave up as the sky started to show and creating some distractions.

Thanks everyone,
Cheers.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any but mainly the SS, would you guys freeze the movement of the water a bit?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Again any, but composition wise, would you guys recrop to a more square ratio and put that water on the right out? I kind of like even, i assume, its a bit distracting.
And PP wise. is it too much? i like it but i sense its on the verge of being a bit to much.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Single exposure, 2s, f/8, ISO 50 @ 39mm.
PP to cool the image a bit and dodge and burn to pop the scene a bit.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@jferrao88

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

João,

I quite like this. The colors and detail are amazing, especially in the lower half of the scene. I think your processing is excellent and not “too much.” I know what you mean and I too will often push the limits in processing - but try to keep it “real.”

I like the water, especially the colors. But as often happens with the slower shutter speed, the larger white-water areas quickly lose detail. Yes, you could use a shorter ss, but what I might do is capture multiple frames at different speeds and then simply blend in detail as needed. I think that might be needed here, especially since I don’t think cropping is the solution. You need the full frame here I think. Plus, I don’t think the tree has enough separation to warrant a square crop.

The only other suggestion would be to desaturate or otherwise deal with the ULC either cloning, cropping or something as that open rock draws the eye a bit. I could see cropping the top off a little which would also cut in to the darker URC - but you would clip in to the main tree and not sure if you would want to do that or not.

A wonderful scene for sure.

Lon

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @Lon_Overacker.
Glad you liked the PP, I also don’t like to over do it, but sometimes we can get carried away ahah.
Unfortunately only have 2 or 3 shots of this scene and all with slow SS, next time I’ll think about it for sure.
The ULC is already a bit desaturated but looking at it now it’s not enough, the crop could be a solution, but cropping the main tree may not do it for me, I will have to try it.
The URC is a bit too dark indeed, but it’s due to a vignette I added, I’ll have to lower the opacity a bit on that.
Again thank you so much.
Cheers

Result after rework.

ULC: Lowered exposure by 0.5 stop, lower saturation and highligths;
URC: raised exposure by 0.5 stop, reduced vignette opacity;
LRC: lowered highlights locally at the water.

I think now the water and the ULC are less distracting and the dark URC is a bit more balanced.
Indeed a more even image.
Thanks for the feed back @Lon_Overacker,
Cheers

P.S.: the image may look softer because i forgot to sharpen the image for web resolution, my bad.

Joao,

Overall I find this to be a great photograph. The tree and FG in front of the tree have amazing detail in them. I think that is what really grabs my interest.

I don’t think the tree has enough tonal separation from the background to crop anything away and make the tree hold the entire image. It would just get lost in the background. The white water is a bit hot on the right side, My might try to run a second processing run with a choosing a lower exposure in the RAW processing and see if you can tone down that brightness or maybe even find some detail in that portion of the water and see if you can paint in back in through a mask.

I don’t mind the ULC corner so much, and I might burn that corner down a bit to match the darkness level of the URC rather than trying to lighten the URC or clone out the ULC rock.

Good luck and I would like to see a repost if you make some changes.

Thanks for the feedback @Youssef_Ismail.

Ill try to do a solid rework this weekend. I think i can get some more information on that bright water and lower that glow on the water.
Ill post it when redone.

Thanks again,
Cheers