Tree Avenue

Was on a photo worksop with Willard Clay and came upon this scene and it took my breath away. The light, color and shadows were awesome. Given the fall colors were passed prime and the shadows were striking, I envisioned this as a great opportunity for a black and white scene.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is appreciated, but specifically composition thoughts and the black and white conversion.

Technical Details

Nikon D500 with Nikon 16-80mm. 1/15 second at f10 ISO 400. Basic contrast, saturation adjustments, slight cropping and black and white conversion in DXO Silver Efex Pro.

1 Like

You’re right, this image does have great light. This has a formal look to it, doesn’t it. Like a procession, or some important event. Yes, there is a formality about this image. It’s not casual, but ordered. Even dignified.

Doug, whenever I see tree lined scenes or pathways similar to this it always takes me back to one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes. Although admittedly it was not a Rod Serling original production but apparently made in France? as my best recollection from those many years ago. The video was called “An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge”. An American Civil War era very unique incident… :eyes:

I really like the fact you’ve posted it as a B&W version too as it adds to the vision from that show that was also a B&W production. I have no thoughts for change as it is a very fine image as you’ve presented it here… :+1:

In addition to the light and shadows, I love that the procession of trees leads to a big, lit tree centered in the background clearing

Yes, it reminds me of an old cathedral.

Sensational image, Doug. Love the formality and the B&W processing. Well done all around.

What a great black and white Doug. No nits from me; I’ll just add to the applause.