Tributaries

Sony A77
Sony 70-400G-II @ 360mm, CPL
ISO 400, 1/60 @ f16
Mercer Arboretum
I’ve walked by this large Sea Grape plant at the arboretum on several occasions without a second glance but this time the aging leaf with the prominent veins caught my eye. The veins reminded me of the tributaries coming together to make a great river. All comments welcome. >=))>

1 Like

Isn’t it so interesting how the veins of a leaf mimic the tributaries of a river? This is lovely. I could see a square(?) crop, though, cutting off the bottom with the strong stem and those red, curving veins. The star of the show is the veining in the yellow leaf, and I think the stem and red veins make for too much competition, even though they do give a sense of depth.

Good colors especially with the Reds, greens, and the yellow leaf.
Are there any tricks to get rid of the sometimes overbearing highlights from the reflections and lights. I don’t find your specular highlights to be too distracting. From what I am learning, removing them is not easy but quite tedious
And it could be a river taken from an airplane.

David: The trick is to use a polarizer, which I did on this image. You do lose SS but if there isn’t any appreciable wind/subject motion it improves the image a lot even if it’s not sunny. Check out the images in Banana Rama to see how using a polarizer and/or fill flash can work in Flora captures. >=))>

Wow! Beautifully done Bill.

Another wonderful piece of art! Great subject, color, detail, composition – you captured it all!

Using a polarizer on a complexly curved surface like this, or with several leaves at different orientations, can often fail to quench everything you want to. If you are on a tripod and there is no movement, you can capture several exposures with different rotations of the polarizer and stack them in PS and mask to the best parts of each.