Trinity County Fall - 2021

We went on a fall color outing yesterday, and found some in Trinity County (northern California). It’s not Vermont, but colorful nonetheless (at least in spots). The light was nice for fall color, with cloudy skies as a storm was coming in - yay!

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome. I wish that sky wasn’t showing in the URC, but it seemed too big an area to clone, and I didn’t want to crop.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 70mm, f/11, 1/125s, ISO 400, hand held.

bonnie_lampley
4 Likes

A great image, I like it a lot. The blend of different colors is very good treated, and the tree trunk structure really add to the image. I have to agree about the sky in the URC.

1 Like

Bonnie, the mix of subtle colors and trunks looks great. I do think it retains most of it’s beauty as a semi-pano, with some or all of the sky cropped out, even as you lose some that fine tree shape towards the left.

1 Like

Beautiful, Bonnie. I love the shapes of the trees coming through the colors.

1 Like

Bonnie,

Love the subtle colors and tree trunks! I looked at some horizontal and vertical crops and for me decided your presentation was the best compromise.

This is a beauty, Bonnie, those Cottonwoods are so photogenic. The soft pastel tones really work for me. Top right is not too much of a bother .

1 Like

What a marvelous combination of twisting branches and leaves. The place has spirit. It’s like some garden of eden. Anyway, I’m not sure the sky area is a bad thing. If you crop it out the image gets worse. Therefore it’s adding in some way. I think it might be the graceful canopy set against the sky. I’m enjoying the muted colors you’ve chosen to use here. And there are no deep blacks either. It’s sort of a conglomeration of things here. The left side is very different and could be an image unto itself. I really like it … for it’s spiritual content.

1 Like

A wonderful find, well presented! Skies can be such a nuisance but the subdued cloudy light make this one easy to love with. Wonderful feeling here!

1 Like

No it’s not Vermont, but still pretty nice. I love the mix of subtle, yellows, oranges and greens here, there is a lot of visual interest in these soft colors. I also like how the tree trunks add a lot structure to the composition, the multiple repeating V-shapes are just excellent, and create a very dynamic look.

In terms of the sky in the URC, my preference would be for a very slight crop from the top to remove some of that sky.

1 Like

Thanks @Igor_Doncov, @Ola_Jovall, @Diane_Miller, @Ed_McGuirk, @Mark_Seaver, and @Vanessa_Hill for your thoughts.

I so envy all of you that have real color differentiations with the changing of the seasons. Here, when the pine needles turn brown, it’s fall and when those drop and the green ones return, it’s spring.

1 Like

Awesome capture @Bonnie_Lampley ! Trees are so hard to photograph because of all the chaos around them, they just blend in. You did an excellent job of seeing and capturing these.

I have two things for you to consider. First is to put these two trees on the Golden Ratio lines. They are the perfect distance apart and it would center them in the image. I was able to do an ever so slight crop from the right side to get them there. I also showed where those lines are in the image.

My second is to burn the trunks of the two center trees a tad to emphasid them and make them pop out more than the other tree trunks.

Two minor suggestions in an otherwise fantastic shot.