Trying very hard not to be seen

Second image is in reply so it can enlarge fully.

Pmax

I found a couple of half wing moths (Phigalia titea) on my deck. They blend in darn well, but I saw them and got out the macro gear. According to my Peterson moth guide these are males because the females are wingless. How bizarre. IRL this little one is less than an inch across - more like 2 cm.

Anyway, I’m still working on the best methods and techniques for stacking. This time I increased my step level to 5 which should allow for greater overlap between takes if you follow me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Which do you prefer? One is a dMap and one is a Pmax stack from Zerene.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
Lumix G9
Leica 45mm f/2.8 macro
f/7.1 | 1/25 sec | ISO 200
beanbag rest on the deck floor - 2 second shutter delay
0+ 5 step stack - 20 images taken, 14 used

Lr processed for white balance, exposure, clarity & texture, a bit of a crop, sharpening & nr.

@the.wire.smith

Here’s the second one so that it can enlarge properly. It’s the DMap

To my eye the DMap is a little sharper, but I don’t know which one reflects the colours more truly as I don’t know this moth. I suspect it’s the Pmax as it seems less vibrant. I like the way your stacking includes the bg to underline the camouflage effect. I wish butterflies were as obliging as moths!

1 Like

Now that is some camouflage, for sure, Kris. Wow, you have good eyes to have spotted him. Excellent capture and presented well.

1 Like