Tuftit Titmouse Repost

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any 3/18/19 Canon 5ds-r , f10, 1/2000sec, ISO 3200

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Previous post was over adjusted in most aspects of the editing process. I have re-edited my “raw” file with less sharpening and less noise reduction.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Great bird, perch and post, Wayne. I also like the background. Both the bird and perch look as if they might have been just a touch soft in the raw file and oversharpened to compensate. They have a slightly crunchy look and there’s some lack of feather detail in the bird combined with slight fringing around the beak and head that lead me in that direction.

A very nice look at this bird on an interesting perch. To me the BG looks splotchy in places and noisy; you might see if more NR smooths out the BG.

Thanks Guys, I’m wondering if my very high ISO, 3200 might be playing too much with my colors???

Hi John, your ISO probably contributed to extra noise. Your color issues are probably attributed to post processing. Still, a nice pose from the titmouse - I find these guys lightning fast and tough to catch.

I love titmice. Haven’t shot one in a while now, but I hear and see them all the time in the forest, usually throwing a fit about something! I like the perch, the pose of the bird, and the background. As noted, there are some issues that could be improved. I think most of them stem from using too small an aperture, too fast a shutter speed, and a correspondingly high ISO. I think you could’ve gotten away here at something like f/8, 1/1000, and ISO 1000. Also, it looks like the bird is both oversharpened and has had noise reduction run on it. If you’ll share your post-processing details, I could give a more fulsome review.

Thanks Lyle, I have been using Topaz Sharpen and Noise reduction set to automatic. I will try to stay with manual. Using “Aperture” setting on my camera. You are right, this bird does not stay in one place very long. Also, will stay pretty much with f8 with these shots. I do some editing in Lightroom, move next to Photoshop and attempt do tone adjustment, before going to Topaz. Have always used automatic camera settings and just recently started using the “Aperture” settings. I will also do more zoom out prior to posting in final edit. Thanks for any suggestions.
Wayne