Under water the crab didn't look this big

Description:

These three shot were taken in the marsh behind Rocky Neck State Park. I was watching this Cormorant from the viewing station, hoping to get a clean shot of the Cormorant as it came up from a dive. I was surprised to see it come up with a grab this big. It only took around two minutes for the Cormorant to pare the crag down to swallowing size.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Specific Feedback Requested:

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon R5, Sigma 150-600mm, F7.1, 600mm, 1/2000, -.3EV, ISO 800. These shot were cropped by 60% into a 16 by 9 in DXO Photo Lab 4. I also adjusted the highlights and added some micro contrast.
Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Wonderful capture, Peter and a great series. Very nicely seen and captured.

What a fun collection of images, Peter. Nicely done.

Impressive catch and fine series telling a good story.

A great series. Hunting techniques are often brutal and I feel for Crabby McCrab here. But everyone’s gotta eat.

Very cool, Peter. Did the Cormorant swallow the shell or separate the innards from it? An amazing series. I never would have thought that a crab that large would be prey for a bird.

Hi
Thank you for the comments. Dennis, the Cormorant took a few more bites and then swallow the crab shell an all. The lighting and focus just wasn’t good on that shot.
Peter

Amazing! Wonderful captures – thanks for sharing! I’m amazed at how these birds manage to eat.