Unexpected

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 400, 1/80 @ f22
Chrissy went to see her chiropractor this morning and noticed this lotus outside his office. He was gracious enough to let me come over and shoot it. I brought along my trusty 200mm but the size of the bloom really surprised me. I couldn’t get far enough away from it to include more of the bloom so I just shot some tight shots of the center. Hoping to go again with the 100mm lens but for now your comments on this are most appreciated. >=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I love the unexpected in photography, Bill. I also like this image a lot. The colors are really nice, and I like the composition. I will have to talk to my chiropractor about this, that he isn’t providing the flowers for me to shoot! Actually, one time I was able to go over after their office hours and shoot through his window at Cardinals in a tree close by, so I will give him a break on the flowers. He actually is displaying a print in the waiting room that I gave to him for letting me do that. This is lovely, and I am glad your wife came home and told you about it.

Wonderful, detailed look at the lotus blossom. Colors are great and I like the comp. I would possibly clone out the dark little triangle on the left edge. Just a nit pick.

Bill,

I’m pretty sure my lack of flower knowledge is impacting my view and critique here. I love the colors - but I gotta say the central part of the flower looks more like a popup birthday cake surprise - I don’t mean to be sarcastic, but the form is so perfect it almost doesn’t look natural. And there we go back to my lack of knowledge… I’m guessing this is a fine characteristic of the lotus flower…

Were you able to get back and shoot more? Clearly a beautiful subject and worth the time to get back to.

Lon