Uruguayan Firecracker Plant

Description:

After birding in Northwest Ohio, I make a few stops to look for hummingbird attracting plants. I found quite a few at a very interesting that is known for their diverse holdings of unique plants, including Dicliptera sericea. I bought one for me and one for a friend who wants to to make her yard more attractive to hummingbirds. I brought the plant into my studio and used 3 flashes at various power settings with light going through the walls of a cloth softbox for soft shadows. I hate crisp shadows for flower photography and find this type of lighting more pleasing to the eye.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D850 105mm f2.8 micro (1/25 sec at f25, ISO 160, 3 flashes set at +1.3, -1.7, -2.0 ev TTL mode0 Levels (Black Point), Topaz DeNoise, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast, 13 photos stack (PMax), darkened lower leaves in frame with burn tool. Enjoy…Jim
Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) no

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

2 Likes

This is a hummingbird magnet for sure! Can’t wait to see them on it.

As you say, the light is soft and even and brings out so much texture in the leaves. Maybe a bit more room at the bottom to keep from crowding that lowest leaf, but I really like the orientation and how much is in focus due to the stacking. The black background is a nice touch since the green is a soft one and the flower aren’t screaming red. A beauty!

1 Like

I love the soft light, and nice to hear about your process. Your composition really evokes the firecracker in Firecracker Plant. Lots to look at here, I enjoyed this thanks for posting.

1 Like