Vertical Jumble + Alternate +2021 Re-post

@Bill_Fach @Diane_Miller I appreciated then and this week your thoughts on this. I took it back up and decided I wanted to reduce the presence of the grassy threads. Thanks to Diane, I dialed back on the berry leaves, which would have been too contrasty, and tried for a soft spotlight effect.
The print turned out nicely
Thanks again. May 2021 hold beautiful surprises for you.

Jan 1, 2021 version

This cliffside small scene attracted me as a black and white when I saw it. I was all enthused about Brett Westons’s Hawaii --Leaves and Lava at the time. I was intrigued by the cascading berry vine and ascending grasses. I have more contrasty versions, but, at least today, this is my favorite.

All technical and artistic feedback most welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Had to work a bit to separate similar colors into different tones,

@Bill_Fach @Diane_Miller
Thanks to your nudges, I have a version of this that is my new favorite. More localized contrast and depth, as Diane prodded, and more overall contrast as Bill favored.
Thanks, guys

New Version

Original Post

Dick: This is a nice conversion that MUST be viewed at its largest size to appreciate the details and textures. I do very little B&W but like it when I see it. I would be curious to see the versions with higher contrast but this works for me very well as is. Well done. >=))>

This is one of the high contrast versions. More gritty. Maybe more Brett Weston.

Dick: :thinking: I may prefer the higher contrast which makes this an altogether different image. I still like the original and applaud your take on both. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Thanks, Bill. It is amazing when different interpretations come forth, either on one’s own or from NPN critiquers

I love this sort of find! The leaves cascade down in such a nice way and you captured wonderful detail. I prefer the lower contrast version but an interesting possibility would be to paint a soft-edged selection down the center of the stem and increase contrast there, as though it were a spot of soft light. You already have a hint of that.

1 Like