Vertigo

I spent several days camping at this location on the Grand Canyon, North Rim. Although the clouds were minimal, the light was spectacular when it first hit the canyon walls. My tripod was setup on a ledge below the rim - so, it was literally “over-the-edge”.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

24mm, 3 image blend, f22

6 Likes

Wow Bill! I love that. Excellent composition. I think the vertical really does a nice job of conveying your height. Sun on the rocks is beautiful.

2 Likes

Cameron, thanks for the feedback. I don’t limit my photography to golden hours, but at this location the morning rays hitting the red rocks make such a huge difference! I kept shooting for another hour, but none of those images had the same impact.

Wow! This shot clearly fits the theme, Bill! I love the light on the cliff and the vertical composition is perfect for displaying the height. The large version is especially nice as it has much more presence and really amplifies that sense of vertigo! Well done! :+1:

1 Like

This is a great shot, Bill. The visual balance between the drama of the big red cliff on the left and the arc of the distant river leading to a gently colored sky works very well.

1 Like

Stunning! You told us where the tripod was but where were your feet?!

John, my feet were on the ledge, next to the tripod. The ledge was several feet wide, and the climb down was secure. Compared to the rim, the perspective of the wall was greatly improved from the ledge.

This is breathtaking, Bill! I really like this unique perspective on the Grand Canyon which is a highly photographed subject. We all know how vast it is but unlike many photos that go for the more traditional wide view. I really like how this is actually looking from the ledge and through the canyon to the vastness beyond. It really makes you feel like you are there hiking down the canyon. Instead of just on top at a visitor center looking across it. Beautiful light on the cliffs too. Great capture!