Vestiges

Specific Feedback Requested

Last August my wife and I spent 30 days paddling some of the lakes in the vast Northern Ontario region called Temagami. Back beginning around 1925 many of these lakes were dammed in order to supply electricity to the nascent silver and gold mining industry. The gold and silver were soon tapped out but the dams, which had raised water levels by 20 to 30 feet, remained. While paddling these lakes we were constantly reminded of a whole world below the surface, sometimes the denuded trunks of a still standing ghost forest pushing up through the waters’ surface, sometime just downed, solitary remnants of a barely remembered time. This photograph is aptly named, “Vestiges”. A hundred years gone, and this leveled tree still radiates its own beauty and the possibility for new life.
My story aside, I would love to know your impressions as you look at this image. Any feedback on any matters technical are also always appreciated.

Is this a composite: No

4 Likes

An excellent find and photograph here, Kerry. The diagonal view fits this perfectly. The tapering light in the scene from the upper to lower area seems to work very well also… :+1:

Beautiful shot. I simply love the simplicity of it. Great eye to see and then capture this.

• I love the water and the graduation from light to darker throughout the image.
  • To my eye, maybe a bit of midtone contrast on the log
  • I know it’s nit picky, but the two bright pieces of dead grass on the left end of the log…I’d make those go away. Since they are brighter, they kind of grab my eye a little bit.

Wow, Kerry, this needs to be seen big to really appreciate the scene. Nice work. As others have said, the simplicity is what makes this so involving. Great image with spot on processing too.

Beautiful Shot Kerry, the calmness of the water is a nice contrast to the the textured log and the I love the graduation from dark to light. I can’t see anything I would change :beers:

It looks like a living thing. I expect it to start swimming through the water. Very interesting photo.

This is a very quiet statement. I like it.
What i like most is the contrast between both ends of the log touching the water; black on the left white on the right side.

@Paul_Breitkreuz , @John_Pedersen , @David_Bostock , @Blake_Randall , @Chris_Baird , @joaoquintela - Thank you all for your supportive and thoughtful feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I have be stalking deadheads in the lakes of northern Ontario for couple of summers now. So many interesting shapes, and like this one so much to look at in these tiny worlds. This photo is a great success at capturing the serenity, sadness and renewal in these old logs. The tones in the water are lovely. The stillness is great. Nice shot, an inspiration to keep trying for one as good as this (I’m usually in a kayak, my nemesis are waves from even the slightest jiggle).

This has that soft, light I think your work is known for and as others have already mentioned, my favorite part is the simply the water and how still it is but also how it goes from dark to light just as the log does. It’s a log that still has a purpose. Blown up, this is just tremendous Kerry. Well done.

@CharlesV - Thanks for the props, Charles. Trying to take photographs from a light craft like a kayak or canoe can be pretty frustrating. I rarely bother unless it is dead calm or I actually want motion blur. I prefer to work from shore where a good long lens can be very helpful.
Do you live in Ontario?
@David_Haynes - Thanks for the your kind words, David. My goodness, my work is known for something - who knew!? I must say, I was very pleased when I downloaded this image and saw it on my monitor. It didn’t look like much on the LCD.

Hey Kerry - I do live in Ontario (Toronto) and we rent a cottage in the Haliburton area for the past 2 summers. This year I am seriously considering hip waders, but might just try from shore first :).