Victoria waterfall

I decided to make a pano of this little water fall near Victoria BC because I really like all the mossy textures and ferns. Any thoughts?
I will eventually clone stamp out the branch in the water.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Works beautifully for me, Blake. I like the powerful frontage of the mossy and leafy banks fading into the glimpse of the distant trees in the centre of the image. I’m slightly torn between accepting the pano as is and the possibility of seeing a little more of the distant view; either way this is an image with a strong sense of place - really well seen and executed.

1 Like

Hi Blake - I saw this on the thumbnail and didn’t like it :no_mouth: But it’s another story when you open it up!!

I think the elements are positioned really well. I like how you have not cropped the slanting piece of rock on the left. The water splaying out in the front creates some subtle lines to draw you through the foreground. The double cascade does a good job of drawing you deeper into the shot and wondering what happens in the woods in the background. The ‘widescreen’ crop really suits the shot and scene well.

My ONLY gripe is the branch/pole/whateveritis in the front right corner. It was the first thing I saw when I opened the shot. It really draws the eye. I would think about removing it but that is up to you and how you feel about removing elements from the scene.

Reilly really nice shot!

1 Like

Blake I’m enjoying this image a lot, I’m a big fan of waterfalls, and this is a very interesting one. I do like the panoramic aspect ratio. Even though it makes the waterfall smaller in the frame, the interesting ferens and moss in the rainforest are interesting enough that a pano works pretty well.
And your processing looks spot on. Overall, this is a very pleasing image.

In terms of suggestions for improvement, I would clone away light grey rock along the left frame edge, it is a minor distraction. And of course clone the stick in the water as you mentioned. I would also recommend a crop from the bottom, to reduce the amount of space that is dark featureless water. I still would leave some dark water below the white water streaks for breathing room though.

1 Like

Blake, I enjoy seeing the details in the vegetations above and around the waterfalls very much. I am of two minds about the slanting rock on the left. I feel like you need more room to the right to give the water to flow. Ed has pointed about that rock on the left, I am wondering cropping would solve both issues.

1 Like

Beautiful, Blake. I would burn down the higher tones on the rock along the left edge and clone out the stick lower right. Both are quite minor though. Good stuff.

1 Like

Thanks guys, really helpful feedback! The updated version:

3 Likes

Your repost nailed it IMHO, Blake. This scene has a nice depth to it with the two tiers of falls and the pano format works very nicely. Of course you have to love the greens of the moss as well as the ferns. Gorgeous image.

1 Like