Violet Dancer damselfly

f/10, 55 mm (crop sensor), 1/100 s, ISO 100.

Sitting on a dock, so there’s not a lot else going on in the photo other than the damselfly, which has positives and negatives. All feedback welcome.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I have never seen a Violet Dancer Damselfly before, Gaurav. He is a real treat. Purple being one of my favorite colors probably helps too. You captured sharpness in his face and eyes, where it matters the most. He looks like he just posed for you. You could possibly make this into a vertical image, as the space on either side of him is just negative space. Just a thought. A great shot just as it is, in my humble opinion.

1 Like

Thank you. I like your suggestion about making it a vertical image, and will definitely try it out.

The violet dancer is a sub-species of the variable dancer, btw, not a full species by itself.

The violet dancers I have seen and captured are a little darker than this. I get a feeling that this may be overexposed by a stop. Vertical format is worth trying and also darkening the background slightly more than stop can be more pleasing. I like the face to face pose and the sharpness on face.

1 Like

Gaurav: A face only a mother would love but a wonderful capture of it. I can see the vertical crop idea but I do like this as is. Nicely done.>=))>

1 Like

Thank you! I took this photo a long time ago and can’t remember the actual color, so I can’t really say whether this is a good reproduction of that or not. I did take a quick Google Images peak, and this seems to be within the color range of many of them, but that’s not really definitive. I appreciate the feedback!

Gaurav, the violet color in this damselfly looks great. It also looks just right for the ones that I see in Maryland. I see a bit of the blue at the base of the abdomen peeking out from behind, which is part of their color scheme. I also like the subtle shadow as it stares at the viewer.

1 Like