Water Hyacinth

would have loved to do a focus stack on this one to get the lizard in focus, too but drifting by in a boat made that a bit more difficult.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, 200-500 @480, f8, 1/200, ISO 320

Ah water hyacinth. The old enemy. I like the arrangement, but there is some odd haloing going on in the leaves and petals on the top of the group. The exposure looks fine as do the colors, but I’m not sure about the anole. It’s just OOF enough to be an annoyance rather than a bonus. Too big probably to get rid of so it is what it is.

Was the boat under your control?

1 Like

Yeah on the boat…I just turn off the motor and drift so as not to disturb the wildlife any more than necessary. It has a 9" draft so I can get in fairly close if the current is running slow. If the current is too swift, I drop a drag anchor which still allows a drift but much slower than the ambient current. The upper haloing is from having to do some creative cloning to get rid of a lot of dead leaves.

The blossom is so gorgeous that I don’t mind the cloning issue, or that the lizard is not perfectly sharp.
I’d do a bit more cloning to get rid of the bright horizontal edge in the far UL.

1 Like

Very nice.

I don’t mind the look of the cloning. However, I wouldn’t mind seeing the dead leaves. They’re part of the natural growth and add to the narrative. But it’s a personal choice.

As for the lizard, I’ll agree with @Diane_Miller, and go further to suggest it adds to the image by being out of focus. Again, it’s a personal choice.